Wednesday 7 August 2013

Healthy Dog = Healthy Owner


After being diagnosed with a serious medical condition, I adopted my first beagle puppy, Braxley. 

Braxley has helped me navigate my way through some difficult times. He has supported and loved me when I have been too sick to leave the couch.  Braxley has motivated me to continue moving forward by demanding I take him for his daily walks. 

Braxley (12 weeks)
 There is no question that pets are good for your health, helping to do everything from lower blood pressure, to lessen symptoms of anxiety and depression. My puppy has been the loving encouragement I have needed to get up and moving since being diagnosed with my medical condition. Braxley helps me to get moving and exercising when my motivation levels are below zero.

Initially, little Braxley could not walk longer than 10 minutes without needing a rest, then today something wonderful happened, Braxley and I incorporated Fartlek training into our daily walk.

Incorporate Fartlek training into your daily walk.

Instead of streaching alone, include your bestfriend! 
Fartlek training is a training method that blends continuous (endurance) training with interval training. The variable intensity and continuous nature of this style of exercise places stress on both the aerobic and anaerobic systems. It differs from traditional interval training in that it is unstructured; our walk this morning was certainly unstructured, we ran between letter boxes, sprinted so that he could sniff many different scents, and walked when his little legs were too tired to run any further. Just like an athlete performing Fartlek training, Braxley was modifying our intensity and speed, as he wished. Most Fartlek sessions last a minimum of 45 minutes and can vary from aerobic walking to anaerobic sprinting. Braxley and I were out for over an hour and we were both exhausted when we got home. Fartlek training is generally associated with running, but can include almost any kind of exercise.

After this mornings Fartlek training I began to think about all the different ways people involve their pets into their daily exercise routine, and after a little research I came across some very innovative methods. Here are some of the different exercise methods I came across:

* Doga - Doga combines massage and meditation with gentle stretching for dogs and their owners.
Doga Class 

Stretching out the hip flexors in Doga
*Canicross - This is a snow free version of Skijor, which is a form of cross country skiing and sledding. Canicross is an excellent activity for people who enjoy cross country running and have dogs who love to run. The dog is attached to a lead which is attached to a harness on their owner. Together you navigate your way through a cross country running track. This can also be done with roller-blades, especially if your K9 companion is a speed demon.


Canicross 
Urban Canicross using Roller-blades 
 * Doggy Paddle - In the USA and UK there are providers of swimming/ aqua-aerobics sessions for you and your K9 companion. This low impact exercise offers alternative ways to keep active for people, or dogs who suffer from chronic pain. As we live in a nation with amazing beaches, try taking your dog down to the beach and paddle through the whitewash together.
Doggy Paddle        
* Climbing Stairs - Climbing stairs together will tone your legs and butt, while giving your dog a chance to melt away the Milk-Bones. Braxley and I have mastered the stairs at Kangaroo Point, Brisbane.
Take to the stairs to shake up your daily routine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment